The Kauffman School, a new public charter school established by the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, opened on August 29, 2011 with its first class of 100 fifth graders. All students attending the Kauffman School live within the Kansas City, Missouri School District boundaries, and are specifically drawn from areas of the city with limited educational options. The school will add a new grade each year through 2018, eventually serving more than 1,100 students in grades five through twelve.
The Kauffman School is a rigorous college preparatory school. The school’s mission is summarized in three words: create college graduates. The school design is based on known best practices and inspiring examples of charter schools throughout the country that are helping urban students achieve at high academic levels. The Kauffman School has a longer school day and a longer school year. Students receive extended periods of math and language arts instruction each day.
The school maintains high academic and behavioral standards. The school has a talented and dedicated staff and an intentional set of structures and systems—all of which focus on student achievement. The Kauffman School expects outstanding outcomes from its students and staff and believes in a “no excuses” approach to accelerating student academic growth.
For more than 20 years, the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation has supported and initiated programs to support public education in Kansas City. The Kauffman School marks a new chapter in the Foundation’s education work in Kansas City—a free and open public school embodying the lessons and practices gleaned from two decades of work to make the best possible educational options available to Kansas City’s children and families.
Prior to the opening of the school in August 2011, the school’s design team worked with educational leaders throughout the country to identify best practices in urban education. The school’s design is informed by exemplary schools such as Excel Academy and Boston Preparatory Academy in Massachusetts as well as management organizations such as KIPP, Uncommon Schools, and Achievement First. The Kauffman Foundation made a ten-year, $10 million commitment to ensure that the Kauffman School starts strong and is able to establish itself as a critical proof point in Kansas City.
The Kauffman School is currently led by a highly effective Principal and a strong founding team of teachers and staff, forming a group of committed educators willing to do “whatever it takes” for students to succeed. Teachers and staff at the Kauffman School ask much of themselves and their students and receive ongoing coaching and development from the Principal. The school has created a powerful culture of achievement and its operational systems are well-organized and managed.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained search and consulting firm that works exclusively with non-profits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.
The Ewing Marion Kauffman School (Kauffman School) seeks a results-driven, highly organized individual to serve as Talent Recruiter. The Kauffman School knows success is only possible with great teachers and leaders. The Talent Recruiter will be a key influencer in the Kauffman School’s success by ensuring that mission-aligned teachers and leaders of the highest quality join the Kauffman School. The ideal Talent Recruiter is an excellent project manager with a keen eye for talent. S/he is a people-person with a demonstrated track record of working efficiently and achieving goals. The Talent Recruiter will report directly to the CEO.
By 2018, the Kauffman School will grow to two middle schools and one high school, serving more than 1,100 students. The Kauffman School will expect its Talent Recruiter to help lead the ambitious effort to attract and retain top talent at these schools.
Outreach and Cultivation
- Write and place compelling position announcements and other school marketing materials in various media venues; refreshing postings as necessary to attract viable candidates
- Utilize sources such as database searches, social media, job posting sites, professional and personal networking, and referrals to identify and recruit candidates
- Stay informed of trends and innovative recruiting techniques in order to be competitive in state-of-the-art recruiting practices
- Deliver high-quality candidates, while guiding hiring managers and candidates through the selection process
- Provide complete, accurate, and inspiring information to candidates about the Kauffman School and its employment opportunities
- Build and maintain relationships with mission-aligned organizations and individuals with the goal of attracting top talent to the Kauffman School
- Manage contracted service providers supporting outreach efforts
- Work with school leadership to identify hiring needs and develop candidate targets
- Organize recruitment events and conduct tours of the Kauffman School intended to attract and inform a broad talent pool
- Ensure school website is maximizing its potential to attract talented candidates
- Screen resumes, collect candidate application materials, schedule candidates for sample lessons and/or interviews, and coordinate interview day details
- Develop, implement, and manage efficient hiring process and protocols for all open positions
- Develop and maintain candidate tracking system
- Manage contracted service providers conducting initial screenings
- Conduct reference checks
- Facilitate and document post interview feedback with interview teams and candidates
- Deliver and analyze candidate feedback surveys
- Evaluate and refine the overall candidate selection process
- Be honest, warm, responsive, and thorough at all times, with every candidate
Hiring and Retention
- Work with school leaders to market the Kauffman School in a competitive and professional manner. Manage the on-boarding process to include creating an on-boarding plan, scheduling and providing new hire orientation, and scheduling all new hire training with various subject matter experts
- Work with candidates, employees, and the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education on all teacher certification issues and approvals
- File and maintain employment records for future reference
- Maintain and manage all applicable applicant and employment logs
- Develop strategies to create a thriving and enjoyable work environment designed to support and retain all staff
- Identify creative ways to keep staff morale high and ensure all school staff know they are appreciated and supported
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of three years of work experience required
- Ability to work autonomously in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in human resources or with sourcing and recruiting is highly preferred
- Commitment and complete belief in the Kauffman School’s mission and organizational success
- Must exhibit good business acumen and the ability to conduct interviews and evaluate technical capabilities of candidate
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and a team player
- Ability to take feedback well and implement changes immediately
- Highly organized with the ability to meet tight deadlines despite interruptions
- Acute attention to detail coupled with the ability to think and act strategically
- Adept at collecting and analyzing data to suggest process improvements
- Ability to maintain a calm, professional demeanor in the face of competing demands and external pressures
- Personal qualities of maturity, humility, self-reflection, strong work ethic, and “whatever it takes” attitude
Compensation and benefits:
The Kauffman School offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with anticipated duties and responsibilities, including comprehensive health benefits.