SAH Media and Communications Editor
The Society of Architectural Historians (SAH) seeks a Media and Communications Editor to manage SAH’s non-scholarly print and online communications. The Editor will collaborate with SAH staff and leadership to develop communication strategies for promoting SAH’s major initiatives including its annual conference, study tours, publications, awards programs and public outreach. The Editor will strategize on media, marketing, communications and branding. Specific job responsibilities include the following:
• Create press kits for SAH’s major programs
• Use VOCUS to draft and distribute SAH press releases
• Initiate personal follow up with media contacts for special programs such as annual conference
• Use VOCUS to address trending topics on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn that are relevant to SAH’s programs and on a daily basis update SAH and Charnley-Persky House Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn accounts
• Post/update content on SAH website www.sah.org
• Create monthly SAH e-newsletter
• Create or edit and proofread email communications distributed through SAH’s association management software
• Coordinate with SAH blog editor and others who produce content for website
• Coordinate with freelance graphic designers
• Create graphics for website, e-newsletter, print communications
• Produce, aggregate, manage and distribute media for SAH including photos and videos
• Edit and proofread communications written by others in the office for spelling, grammar, message and design including website content, email blasts, print materials for members and public, promotional materials
• Maintain high standards of communication and design for SAH’s print and electronic communications.
The preferred candidate will have demonstrated a wide range of competencies that include excellent writing skills, excellent content and copy editing skills, good project management skills, and good communication and interpersonal skills. Candidate must have excellent computer skills and the ability to master SAH’s website content management system and association management software. The ability to work collaboratively with other SAH staff members and an appreciation for SAH’s educational mission are very important. A background in the history of architecture, landscapes or urbanism is also key.
To be competitive, applicants must have one-two years experience in communications and a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree architectural history, preservation, American Studies, communications or a related field. Proficiency in Microsoft Office, content management systems, HTML, and Adobe products is essential. Experience with both Macs and PCs as well as Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) would be a plus.
SAH is a Chicago-based not-for-profit that supports the work of people who, by vocation or avocation, study, interpret, design and conserve the built environment. SAH’s members and constituents include professors and teachers of architectural, landscape and urban history, architects, preservationists, public historians, students, and the general public that is interested in built environment and how it shapes contemporary life.
The Society of Architectural Historians is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.