HR Generalist and Administrative Coordinator
The North Lawndale Employment Network (NLEN) was founded in 1999 to serve the employment needs of the North Lawndale community. The mission of the North Lawndale Employment Network (NLEN) is to improve the earnings potential of the community through innovative employment initiatives that lead to economic advancement and an improved quality of life.
In pursuit of that mission, we serve economically-disadvantaged men and women who have multiple barriers to employment. Many live in North Lawndale, but NLEN also serves clients who live in Humboldt Park, West Garfield Park, East Garfield Park, Austin, and Chicago’s South Side. In these areas, the median household income is $23,663, 41% of the households are female-headed, and 41% of the families are living below the poverty level. While the North Lawndale unemployment rate is 26%, it is estimated to be closer to 40%. NLEN serves 1800 men and women annually.
NLEN piloted its Sweet Beginnings social enterprise model in 2004, with the purpose of finding a means to directly employ the people who could not secure open labor market positions due to lack of experience and other barriers. In the two-year pilot phase, Sweet Beginnings tested product concepts at farmer's markets. In 2007, we trademarked Sweet Beginnings and it became a registered business as a wholly owned subsidiary of NLEN.
Sweet Beginnings produces and sells its honey and honey-infused product line under the beelove® brand through more than 55 vendors. We are selling beelove® product in 33 Whole Foods Markets in five states. We also sell through Peapod online grocers, boutiques, and specialty stores.
Sweet Beginnings, LLC has a triple bottom line mission which reflects NLEN's mission:
Social: To provide people facing significant barriers to employment -- primarily those with histories of criminal convictions -- with viable opportunities to establish a work history, learn productive work habits, and become productive members of society.
Economic: To contribute to the economic revitalization of the North Lawndale neighborhood through a social enterprise that is sustainable for the long-term and generates jobs.
Product: To produce and sell high-quality honey and honey-based personal care and relaxation products.
The HR Generalist and Administrative Coordinator will provide HR support to the North Lawndale Employment Network and executive quality administrative support to the Executive Director, Director of Individual Giving and employees of the North Lawndale Employment Network.
This position will report to the Director of Finance and Administration and the Executive Director (ED) work closely with the Director of Individual Giving and all employees of the North Lawndale Employment Network.
• Maintains knowledge of legal requirements and government reporting regulations affecting human resources functions and ensures policies, procedures, and reporting are in compliance. Maintains bulletin boards, required posters, files, spreadsheets, and all employee records.
• Recruits, interviews, and works with managers to select and fill vacant positions; which includes but is not limited to developing job descriptions, job postings, applicant tracking records, interview schedules and calendaring, etc.
• Coordinates and processes all employee paperwork related to hiring, terminations, COBRA, leaves, Workers Comp, payroll processing, conducts new employee orientation, onboarding, and benefits enrollment for NLEN employees.
• Tracks and monitors attendance for leaves, vacations, and other PTO.
• Manages performance review and salary administration processes to ensure effectiveness, compliance and equity within the organization.
• Manages vendors for benefits plans to provide cost-effective plans.
• Manages facility issues, equipment and IT requests, etc.
• Prepares itineraries/travel, meeting agendas, expense reports, coordinates executive calendars, plans and orchestrates social events for employees, Sweet Beginnings Tea planning, board meetings, and other duties as assigned.
• Organizes and maintains electronic and paper files and records for HR, payroll and other areas as requested by ED.
• Coordinates, creates, edits and distributes both internal and external correspondence, prepares Board Reports, budgets, ETO reporting, reports to Funders, prepares vouchers for payments to vendors, etc.
• Manages donor database and Salesforce reports.