Director of Marketing
Vision and Mission:
The Chicago Loop is a global center and world class destination for business, creativity and intellectual pursuits. Chicago Loop Alliance (CLA) creates, promotes and manages a high-performing urban experience that attracts people and investment. CLA secures this vision through planning & advocacy, enhanced services, research, activation of public spaces, and economic development.
With the recent adoption of a new 5-year strategic action plan, Chicago Loop Alliance is looking for a marketing director with the expertise to position the Loop as a global destination and CLA as a major force in providing a compelling urban experience for those who live, work, play, and study in the Loop. Working with CLA’s staff and Board of Directors, this individual will be responsible for developing and implementing a thorough marketing and communications plan that is framed in the context of the strategic action plan. He or she will oversee marketing and communications initiatives, programs and events, membership outreach, and sponsorship proposals.
Marketing, communications and events
- Promote the Chicago Loop across multiple issue areas (retail, office, entertainment, education, residential, office, arts & culture, and others). Position CLA as a thought leader within the marketplace and among members of the general public.
- Facilitate internal and external communications through multiple channels, overseeing marketing collateral, digital media, advertising, media relations, and events.
- Ensure the articulation of CLA’s desired image and position, both internally and externally.
- Direct the design, production and distribution of all marketing collateral.
- Engage the media in CLA’s affairs, and ensure regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests. Act as CLA’s representative to the media.
- Manage CLA’s brand and identity in print and electronic materials. Oversee the organization’s website, mobile and digital media platforms, reports, brochures, and related collateral pieces.
- Implement methods to measure the impact of CLA’s marketing efforts.
- Lead projects as assigned, such as downtown promotions, member events and marketing and special organizational events.
Planning and budgeting
- Create and implement a 3-year comprehensive marketing and communication plan to articulate the vision of the new strategic action plan.
- Work with the Executive Director to establish achievable marketing and communications objectives. Ensure that these objectives are met and direct staff resources as necessary.
- Develop budgets for all marketing and communications initiatives and events.
- Keep informed of developments in the fields of marketing, communications, not-for-profit management, and downtown governance. Use this information to help CLA operate with initiative and innovation.
- Secure funding for programs and projects, and establish and maintain effective partnerships with key stakeholders
- Work with staff and the Board of Directors to develop and maintain a strategic perspective—based on constituent needs—in organizational direction, programs, and services to keep CLA focused and on message.
- Help assure that CLA’s philosophy, mission and vision are pertinent and practiced throughout the organization.
- Develop and coordinate means to seek regular input from CLA’s key constituencies regarding the quality of programs and services.
- Act as an internal consultant to bring attention and solutions to institutional priorities.
- Maintain a climate that attracts, retains and motivates top quality personnel, both paid and volunteer.
- Recruit, train, appraise, supervise, support, develop, promote and guide qualified personnel, both paid and volunteer.
- Ensure effective management within the marketing and communications function, with opportunities for increased responsibility.
- Design, support and oversee cross-functional teams throughout CLA.
- Effectively enable volunteers and staff so they can take action on behalf of CLA by:
- transmitting CLA’s values, vision and direction;
- engaging people in the meaning of CLA;
- respecting and using the skills, expertise, experience, and insights of people;
- providing direction and resources, removing barriers and helping develop people’s skills;
- articulating expectations and clarifying roles and relationships;
- communicating, which includes helping people transform information into knowledge and learning;
- encouraging people to question organizational assumptions and ask strategic questions, ensuring quality decision-making;
- anticipating conflicts and facilitating resolution;
- engaging people in process as well as tasks, and encouraging people use their power, practice their authority, and accept responsibility;
- modeling behavior; and
- coaching people to success.
Mandatory Job Qualifications
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing, communications, and events.
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational and personal sales skills.
- Experience developing and managing budgets, and hiring, training, developing, supervising and appraising personnel.
- Experience writing press releases, making media pitches and negotiating with media.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with Chicago’s media outlets.
- Creative competency; must be able to oversee the design and production of multiple marketing pieces simultaneously.
- Computer literacy in word processing, database management, and page layout.
- Experience in using digital analytics to monitor marketing impact.
- Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time.
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience in marketing, communications, and events with demonstrated success, preferably in the not-for-profit sector.
- Bachelor degree in marketing, communications or a related field. Graduate degree in a related field is desirable.